Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Affordable Care Act - Made Simple

Remember the 2002 movie, "John Q"? 
So? You think you are against Obama's Affordable Care Act.
Let me ask you this.

Have you got a child? A spouse? A sister, a brother, a mother a father? Have you got anybody to love?
Well – what would you do if you had to have this conversation? 

Employee Manager: Your policy has changed, Mr. Archibald.

John Q. Archibald: Changed to what?

Employee Manager: Yeah, we recently switched carriers from a PPO to a HMO. It's a less expensive policy, but unfortunately, there are some restrictions.

John Q. Archibald: What kind of restrictions?

Employee Manager: Here's how it works: Non-management part-time employees, such as yourself, only qualify for second tier catastrophic coverage.

John Q. Archibald: No, no. I'm not part-time. I'm full-time. It's just slow right now.

Employee Manager: Sure, but your coverage is based on hours worked and like I said, you only qualify for second tier. And that has a maximum payout limit of $20,000.

John Q. Archibald: [shocked] What? Wha- I-I mean-I mean, you guys have been taking money out of my paycheck every week. I've been paying into this policy for years.

Employee Manager: Right. And that's why we're gonna cover you for the full twenty.

John Q. Archibald: You can't be right. I mean, come on. Alright, let me get this straight: You're telling me that you have dropped me from full-time to part-time. You switched carriers. Now you're telling me I'm not fully covered? Even though I got a policy that says I am?

Employee Manager: It doesn't seem right, does it?

John Q. Archibald: No, it doesn't seem right. I mean, my son is sick. If I'm not covered, I've got a serious problem.

Employee Manager: I understand that, uh, but there's nothing I can do. Look, you can file for an appeal.

John Q. Archibald: Yeah?

Employee Manager: [hands John an appeal application] Here you go. That takes about seven working days.

Let me make it simple for you, under Obama’s Affordable Care Act – Nobody would ever have this conversation again.

No comments: